We’re audacious enough to be seeking a ‘Theory of Everything’.
A Theory of Everything
Physicists have been pursuing an ultimate theory ~a theory of everything~ for centuries. A Theory of Everything (from a Physicist’s point of view) would be an unbreakable theoretical framework that would explain all the physical aspects of the universe.
We are seeking a Theory of Everything from a Child, Youth & Family point of view.
Or, as close as we can get.
How will we know when we find it?
First we need criteria by which to assess such a theory.
Here’s a start:
Criteria for an Overarching Theoretical Framework
Does this theory enable us to:
- Identify assets (what is currently working) in the region?
- Improve (& resource) what is already working?
- Identify gaps & fill them?
- Work cross-culturally?
- Take a strengths-based approach?
- Engage the whole community (multi-sectorially) to collectively improve population-level outcomes for children, youth & families?
- Change policies at the regional & provincial level?
- Share/scale innovations?
- Meet the needs of young people from the prenatal period through to the transition to adulthood?
- Get stuff done (not just talk about it!)
What do you think about these criteria?
What other criteria should we include?